Carpooling is a great way to get to and from work. You could save money, reduce wear and tear on your vehicle, and help the environment by reducing pollution. Another great benefit is that you take the stress out of driving. When you share the driving, you arrive at your destination refreshed and ready to start the day. Not only that, but your commuting cost could drop 50 percent, and you may be eligible to save on insurance costs.
You should have a similar work schedule to your carpool partners and you all can decide what your daily departure times will be. Carpoolers often rotate the driving on a daily or weekly schedule which means you will need to do a little planning to make sure your car is available on your designated drive days. If you don't have a car, just make that known up front. There are plenty of people who need their car and will want to drive.
Tips for Getting Started
- Get a group of friends and co-workers together.
- Plan ahead! Make arrangements to meet potential carpool partners ahead of time to map out all the details:
- How many days a week will you carpool?
- Who drives and when?
- Where will you meet?
- Are there any costs that need to be shared by the group?
- What do I do if I am running late or must stay late at work?
- Will you have a smoking or non-smoking carpool?
- What are the driver's responsibilities?
- Be open-minded.
- Establishing a set of rules will help avoid conflict, but rules can't cover every situation. Being kind, courteous and understanding will make your carpooling experience a wonderful one!
- Do something fun!
- Bring donuts once in a while or meet for lunch. Ridesharing can be a great way to meet people and establish friendships that will last years.
As long as you have logged carpool commutes within the past 30 days, and you are registered online in the ridematching database, you are eligible to participate in the Emergency Ride Home program. So don't forget to register.
If you need assistance finding a rideshare partner, complete the online ridematch application or call the CommuteSmart office at (256) 532-RIDE. With a few mouse clicks you will be matched based on your home and work locations and your work schedule. Your personal information is used for rideshare matching purposes only.